Connect with us

BREAKING: US Jury Finds Former Trump Adviser, Steve Bannon Guilty Of Contempt For Defying Congress Invitation, Faces 30 Days Minimum In Jail

Victorious

Published

on

Follow
FOREIGN NEWS: BREAKING: US Jury Finds Former Trump Adviser, Steve Bannon Guilty Of Contempt For Defying Congress Invitation, Faces 30 Days Minimum In Jail [New Foreign News] » Naijacrawl
Photo: Naijacrawl

A federal jury has found former adviser to Donald Trump, Steve Bannon, guilty of contempt of Congress for defying a subpoena from the House select committee investigating the January 6 attack on the US Capitol Building.



The conviction is a victory for the House January 6 select committee as it continues to seek the cooperation of reluctant witnesses in its historic investigation. It is also a victory for the Justice Department, which is under intense scrutiny for its approach to matters related to the January 6 attack, CNN reports.

After nearly two days of hearing evidence and witness testimony, the jury reached a unanimous verdict on the two contempt charges in less than three hours.

Bannon will be sentenced on October 21. According to federal law, he faces a minimum sentence of 30 days in jail.

Bannon’s team did not mount a defense during the trial, and he did not take the stand.

He was indicted by a federal grand jury in November after he blew off October deadlines for producing the documents and testimony the committee had subpoenaed.

In demanding his cooperation, the committee pointed to Bannon’s contacts with Trump in the lead up to the Capitol assault; his presence in the so-called war room of Trump allies at the Willard Hotel in Washington the day before the riot; and a prediction he made on his podcast before the riot that “all hell” was going to “break loose.”

The House committee report recommending a contempt resolution against him said: "In short, Mr. Bannon appears to have played a multi-faceted role in the events of January 6th, and the American people are entitled to hear his first-hand testimony regarding his actions." The House voted to hold Bannon in contempt in October.

Before the verdict was announced, Bannon entered the courtroom before the jury reassembled in a relatively buoyant mood. He threw his face mask down on the table as soon as he arrived, then sat on his phone for several minutes, a few times showing his lawyer a message.

Once the jury was assembled and before the verdict was read, he had one hand braced on the table, and he glanced at the jurors just a few times, primarily watching the judge. He smiled and smirked some after the verdict was read, and then patted his lawyers on the back.

The forewoman read the verdict in a soft voice. She wore a green face mask — and the rest of the jury all kept their masks on as well.

The jurors answered in unison, “yes,” guilty was their verdict.

The prosecutor described it as a simple "a simple case," saying Bannon is one of two uncooperative witnesses to be charged so far by the Justice Department for contempt of Congress. Trump White House adviser Peter Navarro was indicted by a grand jury last month for not complying with a committee subpoena and has pleaded not guilty.

In its closing argument Friday, the Justice Department told the jury that the case was “not complicated,” but that it was “important.”

“This is a simple case about a man—that man—who didn’t show up,” prosecutor Molly Gaston said. Bannon, she argued, “did not want to recognize Congress’ authority or play by the government’s rules.”

Bannon’s team argued in closing that the jury had reason to doubt the case, while suggesting the government’s key witness was not impartial.

“Mr. Bannon was not in a position to testify” for the committee, his attorney Evan Corcoran told the jury, while pointing to statements Trump had made about executive privilege in the House investigation.

When the House committee was demanding his cooperation, Bannon’s lawyer claimed that Trump’s stated assertions of executive privilege prevented Bannon from testifying or producing arguments — an argument the committee roundly rejected. Lawmakers noted that Bannon had for years not been a government official, while pointing to their interest in topic areas not involving conversations with Trump.

Click Here To Comment




Ojo Sunday Victor, A Professional Graphics Designer, and a skilled Content Writer in Entertainment, News and Sport Update.!An Undergraduate in Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH, Ogbomoso). Read More

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Be first to comment


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Foreign News

Woman in Pakistan Faces Accusations of Blasphemy Over Arabic Calligraphy Dress

Piroll

Published

on

FOREIGN NEWS: Woman in Pakistan Faces Accusations of Blasphemy Over Arabic Calligraphy Dress [New Foreign News] » Naijacrawl
Photo: Naijacrawl
Iin Pakistan, an angry mob mistakenly accused a woman wearing a dress adorned with Arabic calligraphy of blasphemy, leading to a volatile situation in which police had to intervene to ensure her safety. The incident occurred in Lahore, the capital of the Pakistani province of Punjab, as reported by the BBC.The woman, whose dress featured the word "Halwa" written in Arabic letters, meaning "sweet" in Arabic, became the target of accusations after the mob mistakenly t...
Continue Reading

Foreign News

Teacher faces sack for asking male students to bring semen-filled condoms to class

Victorious

Published

on

FOREIGN NEWS: Teacher faces sack for asking male students to bring semen-filled condoms to class [New Foreign News] » Naijacrawl
Photo: Naijacrawl
Mara Inés Peredowho, a teacher of sex education, is in danger of losing her job after she instructed her male students to bring a condom filled with their sperm to class.The unusual lesson, which was intended to be part of a sex education class on the male reproductive system, infuriated parents in Bolivia, and now the female teacher at the Juana Azurduy de Padilla school in the municipality of Minero may lose her job as a result.Peredo, who has been accused of corr...
Continue Reading

Foreign News

Morocco rapper bags suspended jail term for threatening journalist

Victorious

Published

on

FOREIGN NEWS: Morocco rapper bags suspended jail term for threatening journalist [New Foreign News] » Naijacrawl
Photo: Naijacrawl
Popular rapper Taha Fahssi, also known by his stage name ElGrande Toto, was given an eight-month suspended prison term by a Moroccan Court of First Instance in Casablanca on Wednesday for threatening a journalist who lives in Belgium.Along with the prison term, he was also required to pay $4,900 in damages in the amount of 50,000 dirhams.The journalist, who had made contentious remarks about cannabis, was the target of allegations of threats, insults, and defamation...
Continue Reading

Latest


Download Naijacrawl App today

Fastest way to read on the go

Download the Naijacrawl App.