The Edo state Governor, Governor Obaseki during a life briefing by the state response team on the coronavirus outbreak in the state yesterday said that the state has spent over a billion in order to curb the exponential spreading of the virus in the state and also to make some necessary equipment available.
In the Governor's statement he said :
“The government of Edo State is leading this battle from the front. We have already spent over N1billion of our limited resources so far on this fight.
“We have constituted the Edo State Fund-Raising Committee which is made up of our sons and daughters who are captains of industries, religious leaders, traditional rulers to help us galvanize efforts at mobilizing resources to beef up the state government’s response to this pandemic,” he said.
According to him, the decision of the state government to review the partial lockdown imposed on residents was borne after reviewing the COVID-19 tests carried out on suspected cases.
While calling on residents of the state to support his administration’s efforts in fighting the virus, the governor appealed for donations by spirited individuals and groups.
Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki holds a love briefing on COVID-19 by the State Response Team in Benin on April 19, 2020.
Also, he wants the people to reach out to what he descried as the most vulnerable in the state, so as to cushion the hardship that may arise from the lockdown order.
Obaseki believes that doing so will prevent catastrophe in the society, while maintaining dignity of those affected.
Speaking further, the governor noted that the state is on the verge of conducting 1,000 cases arising from the coronavirus.
He believes that for the state to win the battle against the virus, the people should regularly wear their face masks.
The state government also asked the citizens to maintain regular washing of hands and maintain social distancing always.