Connect with us

Methodist Prelate Kidnap: Army responds to soldiers’ alleged involvement by cleric

Victorious

Published

on

Follow
NAIJA NEWS: Methodist Prelate Kidnap: Army responds to soldiers’ alleged involvement by cleric [New Naija News] » Naijacrawl
Photo: Naijacrawl

The Nigerian Army (NA) has reacted to speculations of the complicity of its troops in the kidnapping incident of Methodist Church of Nigeria Prelate, Samuel Kanu.



A statement on Wednesday by Brig. Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu absolved the military arm of involvement.

The spokesman said while the Army shares the pains of victims of heinous crimes, linking soldiers without investigations “cannot be swallowed hook line and sinker."

Nwachukwu raised some “pertinent questions” which, according to him, “are still unanswered”.

“Given the spate of insecurity in the region, the question would be, was the issue reported to the unit covering the area?”, he quipped.

“Did the Methodist Church take the NA into confidence while negotiating the ransom with the kidnappers?”

The Army said no formal complaint had been received by the unit, adding that it was worrisome that a ransom was paid in less than 24 hours.

Was the ransom paid to troops? "These are questions that beg for answers," Nwachukwu further asked.

The Army disclosed that it had yet to receive any debrief from the Prelate or the Methodist Church.

It said troops deployed at the Forward Operating Base (FOB) Okigwe, Abia State University Uturu, and the 14th Brigade got no information about the abduction.

Nwachukwu told the public that deployment is not done with consideration of ethnic affiliation.

"Hence, the deployment of troops of Fulani ethnic extraction who, as alleged by the Prelate, carried out the dastardly act is not our practice or modus operandi in the NA.”

The Army stressed its zero tolerance for any misconduct and promised to take the weighty allegation seriously by approaching the Prelate and the Methodist Church.

Click Here To Comment




Ojo Sunday Victor, A Professional Graphics Designer, and a skilled Content Writer in Entertainment, News and Sport Update.!An Undergraduate in Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH, Ogbomoso). Read More

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Be first to comment


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Naija News

Soldiers who don’t serve for up to 15 years not eligible for pensions – Army

Victorious

Published

on

NAIJA NEWS: Soldiers who don’t serve for up to 15 years not eligible for pensions – Army [New Naija News] » Naijacrawl
Photo: Naijacrawl
Nigeria’s Military Pensions Board (MPB) has said that only ex-soldiers with 15 years of service are eligible for pensions as stipulated by the Pensions Act and the Harmonized Terms and Conditions of Service for the Armed Forces of Nigeria.The explanation follows threats of protest by a group called “First Intake Able Voluntary Retired or Discharged Ten or More Years of Military Service” and reports alleging refusal to pay ex-civil war soldiers monthly pensions.The g...
Continue Reading

Naija News

Werewolf: The Video Is Fake - Nigeria Army Reacts To Rumor That Soldiers Killed Werewolf In Benue

Piroll

Published

on

NAIJA NEWS: Werewolf: The Video Is Fake - Nigeria Army Reacts To Rumor That Soldiers Killed Werewolf In Benue [New Naija News] » Naijacrawl
Photo: Naijacrawl
The Nigerian Army has debunked a video of a beast reportedly killed in Benue State by troops.The video which has since gone viral, shows the corpse of a beast that looks like a werewolf. It was widely rumoured that the beast was killed during ‘OPERATION WHIRLSTROKE’ in Benue state.In a statement released yesterday (Monday) the army called on the general public to ignore the footage adding that it was from a Portuguese movie.“The Press Release and video making rounds...
Continue Reading

Naija News

No Soldier Is Quitting Nigerian Army - Nigerian Army Denies Rumour Of 386 Leaving

Piroll

Published

on

NAIJA NEWS: No Soldier Is Quitting Nigerian Army - Nigerian Army Denies Rumour Of 386 Leaving [New Naija News] » Naijacrawl
Photo: Naijacrawl
Few hours after a surprised news keep trending on various media pages rounds that 386 soldiers in front line of the fight against the Boko Haram insurgents have voluntarily disengaged themselves from the Nigerian Army, the defense headquarter has debunked the news as false..The rebuttal of the fake news was made on Saturday evening through the verified social media pages to debunk the news, saying the fake news was fabricated by supporters of Boko Haram fighters and...
Continue Reading

Latest


Download Naijacrawl App today

Fastest way to read on the go

Download the Naijacrawl App.