After several weeks of speculation, the Ebonyi state governor, Engr David Umahi has now formally left the PDP to join the ruling party APC.
The governor made this known in a public broadcast he made about his defection, he attributed his movement to the injustice being done to the South-east zone by the PDP by not intending to allot his presidential ticket to the zone.
Read the full broadcast:
BROADCAST BY THE GOVERNOR OF EBONYI STATE, ENGR. DAVID NWEZE UMAHI, FNSE, FNATE ON HIS PROTEST AGAINST THE INJUSTICE BEING DONE TO SOUTH-EAST BY THE PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC PARTY (PDP) AND HIS DEFECTION TO ALL PROGRESSIVE CONGRESS (APC)
1. Let me first clarify that I never sought for PDP presidential ticket and so, whosoever is saying that I moved to APC because they refused to zone the ticket to me is being very mischievous because even if PDP promises an individual a presidential ticket; how does it work when over 8000 delegates will be electing the person and such promise cannot happen with ten or twenty people. So, people are being very mischievous about that but they are a lot of prominent people from South East, I don't want to list them but I think the House of Assembly members in their letter to PDP listed very much more qualified personalities from the southeast that can take the Presidential slot of PDP.
2. Some people said I was promised this and that - there was no such discussion. APC never promised me any position, they never promised southeast any position. However, I offered this movement as a protest against the injustice being done to southeast by PDP. That since 1998, 1999, the southeast people have supported PDP in all elections. At a time, the five states were all PDP and one of the founding members of PDP is from southeast, the late Vice President, His Excellency, Dr.Alex Ekwueme. And so, it is absurd that from 1998 going to 2023, the southeast will never be considered to run for Presidency under the ticket of PDP, this is absurd. And this is my position and will continue to be my position.
3. Let it be known that I'm God's project and I do not go beyond my calling. I Am satisfied being a governor and by the grace of God, for 8years. First and foremost, as a businessman, I then took an adventure in politics; I refused to be called a politician because politics is all about lying, cheating and backstabbing. That is not my family character and so, I protest and nothing will stop me from this protest.
4. I believe that this movement will cause PDP to understand that no man is an Island and no single person can be called a crowd. Together we are stronger and if people are shouting in this country of fairness, equity and justice and I stand in a place where such is not practiced then I have to re-examine my head.
5. People can write all they want to write, it is not my business. In 2023, if God permits, I may be quitting politics and I will be very satisfied because the miracles in Ebonyi state may just be the reason I was born in the first place and I will be bold, like Apostle Paul that says; “I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race.” Wait unto children and their generation, a crown of success because I believed that the foundation would have been laid for the greatness of this state, Ebonyi and so, everybody runs his destiny.
6. One thing I promise is that I will never castigate PDP, just like, in PDP, my only sin is that I refuse to castigate Mr. President. Until thy kingdom come, I will not do that because that is not my family character but those who don't have character were very suspicious of me because I don't castigate President and they thought I could be leaking information about PDP. What nonsense is that?
7. I came from a very well known family; a place where there is character. If you want to deal with a man, you have to find out about the family background. People jump into politics and covering their character.
8. Nobody in PDP or APC will say he has ever discussed anything and I have to go and leak it, to leak it for what? Is it for money? Is it for fame? Is it for what?
9. Let it be known to all that nobody promised me anything. Let it be known to all that I move because of injustice, and I have no regret about that. Some people say, you will regret this movement and I laugh at them, they talk as if they saw God, as if they are my God. I am satisfied being a businessman, I am satisfied doing my businesses. That is all.
10. Thank you all.