Connect with us

Football sex scandal: 350 victims come forward

kizinho

Published

on

Follow
NEWS: Football sex scandal: 350 victims come forward [New Naija News] » Naijacrawl
Photo: Naijacrawl
Around 350 people have come forward to say they were sexually abused as children by youth football coaches in Britain, the National Police Chiefs Council said on Thursday.




The scale of the abuse began to emerge last week after a string of ex-footballers, including England internationals, told of the ordeals inflicted upon them by coaches.

We are working closely with the Football Association to ensure that the response to this significant and growing number of victims, at all levels of football, is co-ordinated effectively, said Chief Constable Simon Bailey, the NPCCs lead for child protection.

The NPCC said a significant amount of calls had been made to police after the former players came forward to speak out about the abuse they suffered as children.

The BBC said the NPCCs figures were based on existing investigations as well as a new helpline set up by British charity the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children.

The NSPCC said the helpline had received 860 calls in its first week, enabling it to refer 60 cases to police or social services within three days of the hotline launching.

That was more than triple the number of referrals made in the first three days of the helpline set up for victims of Jimmy Savile, a serial paedophile and late BBC television presenter.

The hotline is supported by Englands Football Association and backed by England captain Wayne Rooney, who is an NSPCC ambassador.

Bailey encouraged anyone with information about child abuse in football to come forward.

We continue to encourage those who have been the victim of child sexual abuse to report it, regardless of how long ago the abuse may have taken place, he said.

Fifteen police forces across Britain are investigating cases that have made daily headlines in the country over the past two weeks.

FA chief executive Martin Glenn said on Thursday he does not believe child abuse within British football has been covered up.

It will help uncover some issues that cant happen again, but do I think there has been a cover-up? I doubt it, said Glenn, whose organisation has established an internal review of the allegations.

Chelsea investigation

The scale of the abuse began to emerge after ex-footballers Andy Woodward, Steve Walters and Paul Stewart revealed last week the abuse they suffered at the hands of youth football coaches.

Convicted child molester Barry Bennell has been accused by several footballers of abusing them when he worked for Crewe Alexandra, Manchester City and Stoke City across three decades beginning in the 1970s.

He is the target of five separate police investigations and on Tuesday was charged with eight counts of child abuse, prosecutors said.

Former Newcastle United player David Eatock is the latest player to speak out about his suffering.

Now 40, he said he had been a victim of former youth coach George Ormond, who was sentenced to six years in jail in 2002 for offences committed over almost 25 years.

One of the more difficult parts for me is that I wasnt as young as some of the others, Eatock told the Guardian newspaper.

I was 18 when I got to know George Ormond. I can still remember the look on his face, how terrifying it was, and how his eyes were possessed.

He added: Im just glad Andy Woodward, by speaking out, has given me the strength to do this because I never would have otherwise. It has been like a knot in my brain and Im now trying to pick apart that knot.

Premier League leaders Chelsea have opened an investigation after newspaper claims they bought the silence of a former player who said he was abused by a scout at the club during the 1970s.

Glenn said the FA would come down hard on any club found to have hushed up reports of abuse.

FA chairman Greg Clarke is committed to a full review, shining a torch on what has happened in the past in football, he told a press conference at Wembley to unveil new England manager Gareth Southgate.

If there has been evidence of hushing up, when its our turn to apply the rules we absolutely will, regardless of the size of club.

Click Here To Comment




kizinho
 

Adike Kizito is a top-rated software developer, blogger, sports, and entertainment lover. He is the CEO of these popular websites Naijacrawl.com and Mp3ager.com. He operates his software developing task through Kizzsoft.com,... Read More

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Be first to comment


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Naija News

21 Kidnapped Victims Rescued in Kastina

Piroll

Published

on

NAIJA NEWS: 21 Kidnapped Victims Rescued in Kastina [New Naija News] » Naijacrawl
Photo: Naijacrawl
It was a huge battle between the police and some kidnappers some days ago in Kastina as the Katsina State Police Command revealed that it has rescued at least 21 kidnap victims in Dutsinma Local Government Area of the state, while neutralising a number of terrorists.The police spokesman, SP Gambo Isah, disclosed this in a statement on Friday adding that some terrorists escaped the scene with gunshot wounds.According to reports, the victims rescued comprises of 15 wo...
Continue Reading

Naija News

Grassroot Footballer Dies When Rescuing Flood Victims

Piroll

Published

on

NAIJA NEWS: Grassroot Footballer Dies When Rescuing Flood Victims [New Naija News] » Naijacrawl
Photo: Naijacrawl
A Grassroots Footballer from Bayelsa State named Ernest Peremobowei, has reportedly died while trying to rescue victims of a boat mishap in the raging flood of Bebelebiri Community, in Yenagoa Local Government Area, Bayelsa State.The Corpse of the 31 years old Footballer was, however, recovered two days after while some of his body parts were allegedly eaten up by fish in the river.Report gathered that Peremobowei, one of the three joint top scorers in the just-conc...
Continue Reading

Naija News

Kindappers Throw Victims off Overhead Bridge in Anambra

Piroll

Published

on

NAIJA NEWS: Kindappers Throw Victims off Overhead Bridge in Anambra [New Naija News] » Naijacrawl
Photo: Naijacrawl
Some gunmen who abducted some people in Anambra state and proceeded to throw them off an overhead bridge, leaving them to land on the cemented base of a drainage channel.The weird incident occurred over the weekend in Alor, Idemili South Local Government Area of the State.The Victims were said to have been abducted along Nnobi—Nnewi Road and taken to Alor where they were thrown from a bridge top along the Obiaja River.A Video from the scene is going viral online. It...
Continue Reading

Latest


Download Naijacrawl App today

Fastest way to read on the go

Download the Naijacrawl App.