Todd Boehly: 5 things to know about Chelsea new owner
Todd Boehly, an American millionaire, was formally revealed as Chelsea's new owner on Saturday.
Chelsea confirmed via their website that arrangements have been completed for the new ownership group led by Boehly to purchase the Stamford Bridge club.
Following the completion of his £3.5 billion takeover, Boehly replaces Roman Abramovich, who owned Chelsea for 19 years.
The Raine Group, the US bank handling the sale, nominated his consortium, which includes Dodgers co-owner Mark Walters, British businessman Jonathan Goldstein, Swiss billionaire Hansjorg Wyss, and US investment firm Clearlake Capital, as the preferred bidder to take over Chelsea.
What are some of the things you need to know about the new Chelsea owner?
1. Boehly is 46 years old, according to Forbes, worth around £3.6 billion ($4.5bn).
2. He is already a part-owner of both the Los Angeles Lakers and the Los Angeles Dodgers. He holds a 27 per cent stake in the Lakers and a 20 per cent stake in the Dodgers.
3. This is not the first time Boehly has shown an interest in football either, with reports suggesting that he tried to buy the West London club back in 2019 as well. Luckily, the sanctions against Roman Abramovich following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, gave him the chance to finally make his move.
4. Boehly’s career began as CS First Boston in New York in 1996, a division of Credit Suisse, after graduating with a degree in finance. He then moved to JH Witney & Co and then to Guggenheim Partners in 2001.
5. Boehly has worked alongside Mark Walter for a considerable length of time, with the latter also part of the Chelsea consortium. Boehly is also known for his philanthropy, having invested in a number of charities.
Transfer deadline: Chelsea’s Todd Boehly submit £50m for Ajax’s Mexican midfielder
Ajax star Edson Alvarez is forcing his way through a move to Chelsea.This is after Chelsea owner Todd Boehly made a £50m move for the Mexico international.According to De Telegraaf, the Blues, Chelsea, have made a £50m offer for Alvarez on Wednesday.Alvarez can play as a defensive midfielder or centre-back.He is keen on joining the Blues, having pushed for a move away from Ajax earlier in the summer.The Dutch champions had earlier blocked the 24-year-old from joinin...
Thierry Henry slams Chelsea owner, Boehly over De Bruyne, Salah, new league proposal
Thierry Henry, a former player for Arsenal, has criticized Todd Boehly, a co-owner of Chelsea, for the proposed changes to the Premier League.Along with criticizing the Blues owner for his ignorance of his team, the former Arsenal star also blasted the player.After he suggested that a four-team tournament should be used instead of the customary three-up, three-down relegation format, American billionaire Todd Boehly has faced a great deal of backlash this week.He al...
Chelsea drop points against Wolves as new owner Boehly watches from Abramovich’s seat
Chelsea were held to a 2-2 draw by Wolves in a Premier League fixture on Saturday.The Blues dropped points in front of their new owner, Todd Boehly, who sat in Roman Abramovich’s director’s box seat.The hosts raced into a two-goal lead in the second half after the opening 45 minutes ended goalless.Romelu Lukaku converted from the spot before bending in a fine finish.However, Wolves fought back through Trincao and Conor Coady to earn a point at Stamford Bridge.Chelse...
Download Naijacrawl App today
Fastest way to read on the go
Download the Naijacrawl App.